Saturday 12 January 2013

Hitchcock


Hitchcock (2012)
I watched the latest movie about Alfred Hitchcock.  It is called Hitchcock.

It was ok.  As I was watching, I suddenly realized that Hitch was being played by none other than Sir Anthony Hopkins.  He is best known for Silence of the Lambs, but is a very accomplished actor.  The movie highlights the importance his wife Alma Reville played in his life and his movies.  The role of Janet Leigh who plays the role of Marion Crane in Psycho was played by the beautiful Scarlett Johansson.  I think it is a good introduction to Hitchcock's story, but there are tons of books about him.  Some of the books contradict each other.  For example his reliance on storyboards, how he directed etc.  Of course there are the stories of how he pursued the leading ladies in his movies.  The Hitchcock icy blondes.  There are also stories of him being creepy, voyeuristic, and more than weird.  True or not, I enjoy how he builds his movies.

The movie subject matter he chooses is mostly dark, but his movie-making craftsmanship is what drives me to watch his movies.  Each scene is carefully created.  Each pan, travel draw you in.  One can spend lots of time researching the symbolism in his movies.  Sometimes I do, sometimes I just sit back and catch the ones I can, and enjoy the show.

It got me in the mood to re-re-watch some of his movies again.

Psycho (1960)



No comments:

Post a Comment