Tuesday 31 July 2012

What is the socially redeeming value of your work?

What is the socially redeeming value of your work?
Dorsey:  That it will get kids to read because it is fun.  I’m not being facetious.  There are other things in there as well.  I think a lot of kids could get hooked on reading.  You have readers and nonreaders--and that is the great divide.  We all know where those paths lead.  Having Beowulf force fed to me and hating it and then finding this other stuff I loved made all the difference to me.  I have talked to some teachers and classes.  The other thing is that kids are sharp.  I want to make the books entertaining.  Everyone would like to be a literary icon, but the reality is that literature now is often a fancy way of saying hard to read.  I want to be entertaining first of all.  I don’t just have a degenerate point unless it is funny.  I don’t make a point unless it’s funny.  But past that my books provide a constructive questioning of authority.  Not just skinhead stuff.  But you have to go through a naive idealistic phase.  It is healthy.  That’s why Vonnegut is good. He taps into that vein of naive idealistic outrage we all have to feel at some point in our lives.  I try to harpoon hypocrisy--but only if it is funny.  Otherwise, I’ll tell a degenerate joke instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment